European Commission publishes proposal for next research and innovation programme
The European Commission has published its proposal for HorizonEurope, an ambitious €100 billion research and innovation programme that will succeed Horizon2020.
HorizonEurope will build on the achievements and success of Horizon2020 and keep the EU at the forefront of global research and innovation. The programme for the period 2021-2027 will introduce the following main new features:
- A European Innovation Council (EIC) to help the EU become a frontrunner in market-creating innovation
- New EU-wide research and innovation missions focusing on societal challenges and industrial competitiveness
- Maximising the innovation potential across the EU
- More openness (Open Science)
- A new generation of European Partnerships and increased collaboration with other EU programmes
The new programme will be implemented through three pillars:
- The Open Science pillar (proposed budget €25.8 billion) supports frontier research projects defined and driven by researchers themselves through the European Research Council, funds fellowships and exchanges for researchers through Marie Skłodowska-Curie Actions, and invests in world-class research infrastructures.
- The Global Challenges and Industrial Competiveness pillar (proposed budget €52.7 billion) directly supports research relating to societal challenges, reinforces technological and industrial capacities, and sets EU-wide missions with ambitious goals tackling some of our biggest problems.
- The Open Innovation pillar (proposed budget €13.5 billion) aims to make Europe a frontrunner in market-creating innovation via the European Innovation Council. It will help develop the overall European innovation landscape, including by further strengthening the European Institute of Innovation and Technology (EIT) to foster the integration of business, research, higher education and entrepreneurship.
An additional, cross-cutting layer in the programme, Strengthening the European Area, will focus on sharing excellence and reforming and enhancing the European R&I system.