Horizon Prizes are 'challenge' prizes (also known as ‘inducement’ prizes) offering a cash reward to whoever can most effectively meet a defined challenge.
The aim is to stimulate innovation and come up with solutions to problems that matter to European citizens. Horizon Prizes prescribe the goal but not who the innovator should be or how the goal should be achieved.
Challenge prizes currently open for application are:
- Big data technologies
- Seamless authentication for all
- Tactile display
- Zero power water monitoring
- CO2 reuse prize
- Low carbon hospital
- Photovoltaics meets history
- Engine retrofit for clean air
- Cleanest engine of the future
- Birth day prize
- Improved mobility for older people
- Materials for clean air